ARISTO: The European Industry - Academia Network for RevIsing and Advancing the Assessment of the Soil Microbial TOxicity of Pesticides
University of Thessaly is seeking to cover the position of “PROJECT MANAGER AND ADMINISTRATOR” with commencement in September 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position is available through the project ARISTO, an EU project funded by the European Commission for 48 months in the frame of the MSCA-ITN-EID-H2020 call. The project ARISTO (https://aristo.bio.uth.gr) is a large training network between 7 academic and 9 industrial partners which will train 9 PhD students in soil microbial ecotoxicology.
Short project description
To date biopesticides including microbe-based pesticides and natural products (or botanicals) are gaining interest in the pesticide market. They are considered environmentally safe although solid evidence for their reduced off-target toxicity are still lacking. The project will (i) examine the hypothesis that bio-pesticides are non-toxic, or less toxic than synthetic pesticides, to soil microorganisms and (ii) assess the overall soil microbial toxicity of bio-pesticides on functional microbial endpoints. In this frame lab microcosm and field tests will be undertaken to examine the toxicity of a range of biopesticides (vs synthetic pesticides) on the overall soil microbial diversity and on functional microbial diversity (e.g. ammonia-oxidizing microorganisms and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi) using a range of molecular tools (amplicon sequencing, metagenomics, q-PCR), microscopy and advanced analytical methods. The experimental process will involve collaboration with other fellows’ projects providing a holistic assessment of the soil microbial toxicity. ARISTO is an EU project funded under the MSCA-ITN-EID-H2020 funding scheme
Job description :
The position is available from September 2021 or as soon as possible until the end of the project (30 November 2024). The key tasks of the project manager and administrator will be:
• To communicate with REA, the beneficiaries and the partners for all administrative matters of the project (funding, administration etc),
• To organize and keep notes, minutes etc of the meetings of the Supervisory Board and the Technical Committee of the project
• To prepare and submit reports for the progress of the project
• To support the daily administration of the project and to work together and support the coordinator in the coordination of the project
• To promptly collect, organize and submit the financial statements and reports of the project and to inform the beneficiary and partners for administrative issues
• To cooperate and assist the beneficiaries and partners on the organization and management of dissemination and communication activities and also of training activities
•To communicate and resolve administrative issues associated with the work and the contracts of PhD students
Specific Criteria for selection
• University degree from Greece or abroad (preferentially certified through NARIC)
• Working experience of at least 5 years in the support and administration of projects funded by the European Commission and/or by National Funding bodies which were implemented in Universities
• Working experience of at least 5 years in the coordination multi-partner networks in EU and/or National funded projects, implemented in Universities
• Good knowledge of English as demonstrated by appropriate degrees
• Certified knowledge of PC use and relevant office softwares (Microsoft Office, etc.)
Extra selection criteria
• Working experience in the dissemination and communication activities of projects (EU or national funded projects)
• Working experience beyond 5 years in the administration and implementation of national-funded and/or EU-funded projects which are implemented in Universities
Terms of employment
Recruitment and Terms of appointment will be done according to the rules and regulations of the hosting institution. The recruited candidate will be paid the amount of 62040,00 € for the whole period of employment.
Place of Employment
• University of Thessaly, Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Laboratory of Plant and Environmental Biotechnology, Larissa, GREECE, Website: https://plantenvlab.bio.uth.gr
The application must be submitted to the Research Committee of the University of Thessaly, Greece. The procedure and document that should be submitted are described in the following link:
The University of Thessaly wish our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic background.
The deadline for applications is 23 September 2021. Applications received later than this date will not be considered.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the coordinator will provide all applications to the members of the recruitment committee who will evaluate all applications and select the best three candidates based on the quality of the candidates’ previous training, qualifications and skills (as listed above), CV and their motivation for the research topic. The best three candidates will be interviewed by the recruitment committee which will select the best applicant for the position taking into consideration the recommendation of the co-supervisors for the position. The applicants will be notified of the final selection by the Project Manager and will be given 7 days to accept or decline.